Expressing our love is the first thing we neglect when caught up in busy schedules and life’s demands. We forget to compliment each other or just give a hug to acknowledge, we’re in this together.
A Harvard study that began in 1938 tracked the health of 268 young men. Scientists hoped the study would provide insight into the ability to lead healthy and happy lives. Surprisingly, they found that there is a strong link between happiness in relationships and health. “Taking care of your body is important, but tending to your relationships is a form of self-care too,” said the director of the study, Harvard professor, Robert Waldinger. The study also revealed that close relationships, more than money or fame, are what keeps us happy throughout our lives.
Much has been written about the “language” of love. The 5 most recognized ways of showing our love are through words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time and touch.
Learning each other’s “love language” helps to keep those close to us, knowing how we feel about them. Partners, sisters, brothers, friends and family members all need to know that they matter to us.
Love Languages ~ 5 Ways to show you care
- Words of affirmation – Remembering to “speak” your affection and express your appreciation through words.
- Actions – It is sometimes true that actions speak louder than words. Take time to show and receive love offered.
- Gifting – Give a surprise gift, a symbol or gesture of your love and affection.
- Time Together – Making time to show affection with your undivided, undistracted attention.
- Touch ~ A hug, a kiss, holding hands, intimacy, share your love.
True love is a strong and lasting affection shared by those of us who are in a happy, passionate and fulfilling relationship.
Wishing you all a very Happy Valentine’s month.